Christmas is roughly half a year away, but holiday season for cycling starts now.
I guess May has always been Bike Month, but since Metro has expanded their celebration beyond a week, well a lot of us are going to to run with it.
Bottom line, there is so much going on, it’s impossible to list it all. Of course, I’m going to be valley centric, but you already knew that. So let’s kick this into gear:
- Sunday, May 1st – Kickoff Day. I know, today is May 2nd and we missed that, including a cool Sunday Funday ride. Sorry, I typically don’t work weekends and I can’t pull out the DeLorean. But we still have another 30 days left, which is essentially April!
- Monday, May 2nd – Kickoffish Day. Metro’s annual kickoff press conference was cancelled this year, but this is not going to stop LACBC from getting it going. You can watch(or restream 24 hours after) LACBC’s version this morning on their Periscope page at 11am.
- Friday, May 6th – Walk Bike Burbank Speaker Series. Walk Bike Burbank will be hosting David Kriske from the Transportation Division of the City of Burbank to talk shop starting at 5:30pm at the Burbank Police Station Community Room.
- Saturday, May 7th – LACBC Commuter Workshop. People sometimes need just a little push to have the confidence to ride that tiny distance to work instead of paying extra dollars to park. Here, you’ll learn all the essentials to getting started and I’m sure you’ll be rolling into the workplace by Monday.
- Saturday, May 7th – City Cross & Short Line Crit. The streets of Long Beach will be taken over by racing all day with SoCalCross’ City Cross in the afternoon followed by Wolfpack Hustle’s Short Line Crit. Even the spectating is going to make you tired!
- Sunday, May 8th – Los Angeles Bicycle Festival. Grand Park + Bicycles = Rolling Disneyland. It’s an all day affair, so you know a lot of stuff is going to be going on.
- Tuesday, May 10th & Thursday May 12th – Walk Bike Glendale Commuter Workshops. Walk Bike Glendale along with Metro is hosting a couple of their own commuter workshops for free. Register first for Tuesday, May 10th or Thursday, May 12th.
- Saturday, May 14th – LACBC Roadside Bike Repair Workshop. Early in my cycling career, I got a flat tire and then abandoned my bike for months. Now that I know how simple changing a tire in, I look back at a life wasted. Don’t be me. Go and learn. Plus it’s free.
- Saturday, May 14th – Studio City Green Living Fair. This was such a popular event last year, that not only are they bringing it back, but they’re bringing me! I love seeing myself!
- Saturday, May 14th – Walk Bike Burbank Bike Check. Come to the farmers market to have you bike looked at because it’s already halfway into the month and you should have done that by now.
- Sunday, May 15th – CicLAvia. I love it when CicLAvia comes to the valley, but I think this Southeast Cities event is going to be a real eye popper. I better see you there.
- Sunday, May 15th & Saturday, May 21st – Commuter Workshop Rides. Walk Bike Glendale will be holding a followup to their commuter workshop by hosting a pair of rides across Glendale. You can RSVP for the May 15th(which will be a CicLAvia feeder ride), May 21st, or both!
- Monday, May 16th – Amgen Tour of California. Amazing for all the years of the race that Stage 2 will be the deepest it has ever gone into the valley. I can’t say how excited I am that this route goes up Angeles Crest Highway and Little Tujunga. Three words: See you there!
- Tuesday, May 17th – Annual Blessing of the Bikes at Good Samaritan Hospital. Normally, Tom LaBonge shows up for some reason, so let’s see where this drama leads this year.
- Wednesday, May 18th – Ride of Silence. Yes, you’ve heard me promote the ride I’m leading in North Hollywood before and I’m not close to being done. This is an important event that all cyclists should make it out too, even if you can’t make the valley ride.
- Thursday, May 19th – Bike to Work Day. Metro and LACBC will be hosting a number of pit stops around the county where riders can pickup some swag and refreshments on their way to work. Locations will vary, but look for them to popup near some of the more popular cycling locations.
- Thursday, May 19th – Handlebar Happy Hour. Bikes & Beer. What more do you need to know. Go enjoy some lovely libations with like minded people because that’s what you do!
- Sunday, May 22nd – Blessing of the Bikes Burbank. See. Walk Bike Burbank works hard for bike month.
- Friday, May 27th – Bike Night at Union Station. The month will be closing out at Union Station with this annual festival that’s super convenient to get to. There will be music, raffle and fashion show among other things and I imagine we’ll get a peak at Bike Share again.
- Sunday, May 29th – Grand Trophee Griffith Park. SoCalCross is holding another of their fun gravel grinders starting from Golden Road Brewery. Need I say more?
A lot is developing for this month and I imagine there’s a few events I missed, but I’ll be updating this page as it goes. Get out and make Los Angeles more bikable!